Gone are the days of little kids dressed up as ghosts and witches parading up and down the street in costumes made by their mothers. Traditional and homemade costumes are out the window and have been replaced by store bought costumes ranging from cartoon characters to celebrities. This Halloween, it has been estimated that American parents will spend a total of 1 billion dollars on costumes for their children. And if you thought dressing up for Halloween was an activity for the kids, think again. Adult costumes are more popular than ever with sales expected to reach 1.2 billion dollars this year.
With two weeks to go until Halloween, we’re approaching costume crunch time. If you haven’t gotten yourself or your kids a costume, you should probably get on that. Many popular costumes are already sold out in many stores and you’ll be left with pretty slim pickens if you wait much longer. Now comes the daunting task of deciding what costumes to buy for yourself or you kids. So what’s hot in the world of Halloween costumes this year? Here’s the breakdown:
Top Kid’s Costumes:
- Despicable Me Minion- Who doesn’t love those cute little Twinkie-looking things in overalls? This is by far the hottest costume this year and is available in various unisex styles as well as a little girl’s dress version. Good luck finding it though. Most stores have been sold out for weeks.
- Ninja Turtles- A throwback from the past, these crime fighting turtles have made quite the comeback recently. With all of the Turtle characters available, your kids can form their own turtle gang.
- Iron Man- This is definitely a popular costume for boys and is available in various styles representing all the different Iron Man movies. What boy wouldn’t want to be a superhero for Halloween?
- Power Rangers- Another throwback from the past, these costumes are available for all the different color Rangers and are snazzier than ever.
- Monster High- These characters are popular with tween girls. I don’t get it, but hey, as long as their happy it’s all good.
- Spider Man- By far one of the coolest superhero costumes out there. There’s just something special about a spandex jumpsuit. There’s also a girl’s dress version available.
- Superman- The Man of Steel is always a popular choice. One of the more traditional superhero’s available now comes in a girl’s dress version as well.
- Monster’s Inc.- Mike and Sully are popular again with the release of Monster’s University. This pair makes a cute costume for siblings or friends and both are available in various unisex and girl versions.
- Disney Princesses- Every girl dreams of being a princess. They can choose from Belle, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Tiana and many more.
- Batman- He’s my favorite superhero and I’m sure many other kid’s think he’s pretty cool too. There is a girl’s dress version of this costume available as well as a Robin costume for a cute costume pair.
Top Adult Costumes:
- Despicable Me Minion- Yes, there is an adult minion costume and don’t lie, you know you love them as much as your kids do. Again, this costume has been very popular and will be difficult to find in stock.
- Breaking Bad- If a yellow hazmat suit and rubber gloves are your thing, go for it.
- The Fox- Norwegian brothers Vegard and Bård Ylvisåker, members of the Norwegian comedy group Ylvis, produced the song and music video “The Fox” to promote the upcoming season of their television talk show Tonight with Ylvis on TVNorge. The video became an overnight YouTube sensation and fox costumes are flying off the shelves.
- Duck Dynasty- These bearded, backwoods multimillionaires made themselves famous with their hit TV show on A&E. Who wouldn’t want to dress up like a multimillionaire for a night?
- Miley Cyrus- Months after her twerking episode with Robin Thicke at the MTV Video Music Awards, women everywhere are racing around looking for nude bikinis and foam fingers for their Halloween costume. Why? I have no idea.
- Minecraft- This popular computer game allows players to build constructions out of textured cubes in a 3D procedurally generated world. I’m not at all sure what that means, but apparently putting giant pixelated cubes on your heard will be a popular Halloween costume this year.
- Daenerys Targaryen- Played by Emilia Clarke on the hit TV series Game of Thrones, this silver haired young woman is a very popular costume with the ladies this year.
- Batman- You’re never too old for superheroes and this is the most popular superhero for both men and women. There’s a pretty sexy female version available too.
- The Great Gatsby Flapper Dress- Ladies are taking their style back to the 20’s this year with this prohibition era costume. Very cute and pretty easy to find.
- Daft Punk- This French electronic music duo is known for its use of disguises while in public and/or performing; specifically ornate helmets and gloves to assume robot personas in most public appearances.
Hopefully these lists of the most popular Halloween costumes for this year have helped you decide what to purchase for yourself or you kids. But remember, these are the most popular costumes, in other words they will be worn by everyone. So if you plan to be original or creative, avoid these lists altogether. But if you’re into trends and want to be part of the crowd, feel free to use one of the above ideas. As you can see, Halloween costumes are not what they used to be, but that doesn’t always mean they aren’t good. Well except for the Miley Cyrus costume. That one is an epic fail if you ask me. Anyway, dress up, have a great time and be safe. Happy Halloween everyone!